Rahr Malting Co. ( RMCO ) formed Koda Energy LLC ( Koda ) to develop a renewable energy combined heat and power plant at the Rahr Malting Company that:
- Provides both heat and electricity to RMCO for their malting business.
- Provides SMSC the opportunity to purchase electricity for their communities use.
- Provides renewable electricity to the local utilities.
- 2006 – 2007 – Project design
- March of 2006 – MISO interconnection submission
- May of 2007 – MISO interconnect approval
- September of 2007 – MPCA permit approval
- September of 2007 – Construction began
- January of 2009 – Steam blows complete
- January of 2009 – Purchase power agreement
- May of 2009 – began commercial operation
- October of 2010 – attained the ability to provide 100% thermal load to RMCO
- February of 2013 – completed a facility to process urban tree trimmings as a fuel source
- February of 2014 – completed a re-design and rebuild of the fuel receiving system at the Koda plant to enhance safety and capability
- 2021 – Rahr Corporation takes full ownership of Koda Energy